The process of having a tooth extractionIf you do need to have a tooth extraction, there are several ways that the procedure can be conducted. First, we will numb the area of your mouth so that you do not feel any direct discomfort. You will feel pressure during the procedure but otherwise remain relaxed and comfortable. If your tooth has matured and broken through the gums Dr. Jai can use dental tools to wiggle the tooth and pull it out of the socket. Afterwards, the area will be thoroughly cleaned, and gauze will be used to stop the bleeding while you recover. If, however, your tooth is impacted or still below the surface, as is common with wisdom teeth, oral surgery may be necessary for removing it. When completing this procedure in our Alpharetta dental office, we typically create an incision in the gums so that there is a flap. The flap is gently lifted so that we have access to the impacted tooth. In many cases, we can wiggle the tooth and lift it out of the socket. If, however, there is bone or tissue on top of the tooth, it will need to be cut away first. If the tooth is particularly stubborn and not budging, we might need to break it into several pieces and remove it that way. Once the tooth has been removed from the socket, the area will be thoroughly cleaned before the flap is placed back down and sutured in place. Gauze is then used to stop the bleeding.
Check out what others are saying about our tooth extraction services on Yelp: Tooth Extraction Alpharetta.
Alpharetta Tooth ExtractionSigns that you might need a tooth extraction At Healthy Smiles of Georgia, we practice preventative care and can help in an emergency situation. If you feel intense discomfort in your tooth or your jaw, give us a call since this could be a sign of a dental abscess or severe infection. Simultaneously, if it hurts when you bite down or chew this can also be an indication of a cavity or infection. Other signs like puss or bleeding indicate that you should call 678-762-0690 and schedule an appointment with our family dentistry office right away.
What you should know about wisdom teeth removal If you still have your wisdom teeth, you may need to have them removed. We invite you to schedule an appointment with our Alpharetta, Georgia dentist office so that we can examine your teeth and take x-rays to determine whether or not you should keep your wisdom teeth. Not everyone needs to have them out, so it depends on how much room you have and whether they are growing in straight or impacted. Also, if you have worn braces, they might need to be removed to prevent them pushing the other teeth forward. The process of removing wisdom teeth is roughly the same as any other tooth with the exception of when and why we perform the procedure. At Healthy Smiles of Georgia, we typically recommend wisdom teeth removal in the teenage years. General extractions are more common as people age and have a tooth that needs to be removed due to a severe infection or significant damage. To find out whether or not you should keep your wisdom teeth, call (678) 784-0806 to schedule an appointment to speak with Dr. Jai.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Healthy Smiles of Georgia was established in 2009
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Fulton County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Alpharetta
- Georgia Board of Dentistry (License #DN013405). View License Information and Specifics
- National ProviderIdentifier Database (1295812857). View NPI Registry Information
- Healthgrades. View Background Information and Reviews
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details